Wondering Where To Stay In Split, Croatia? Here Are Our Tips!
If you are searching for the best places to stay in Split, Croatia, you are not alone! This popular Croatian seaside city is a great destination visit whether you are on a Croatia road trip or just heading to Split for a short sunny vacation. This means that there are so many great Split hotels and other accommodations to choose from. We travelled along the Dalmatian Coast and stayed near Split for weeks so we like to think we know the area.
If you’re here, there’s a good chance you’re looking for the best hotels in Split. You might already know you’re searching for the best hotels in/near the Old Town – which includes the famous Diocletian’s Palace located in the Split City Centre. Those hotels are easy to find, and we’ll show you below.
From hotels in Split’s Old Town like Hotel Slavija to hotels in Split on/near the beach like Hotel Fanat, our guide gets right into it. We’ll dive into the best accommodations in Split by style and budget and then outline a few of the best areas to stay in Split with popular and reliable examples – whether you are travelling as a couple, with a car, or as a family with kids.
- 10 Awesome Day Trips from Split
- Island Hopping in Croatia – Our Tour Experience
- Must-Knows When Visiting Krka National Park
**Friendly Disclosure: We paid for the accommodations we stay at ourselves and were not told to include them in this article.
Where to Stay in Split – Accommodation Options
Split is the second-largest city in Croatia and the largest on the coast so it’s pretty popular. Yes, Dubrovnik is pretty popular, too. Lodging in Split varies from top hotels to lots of rental apartments and beachfront resort-style hotels. There are even cheap accommodations in Split like hostels and simple guesthouses which – despite being “budget” – are still located in the city centre.
This post is divided up for you into two sections: the top section is all about accommodations in Split by type (hotels, apartments, etc). The second section covers where to stay in Split by the best areas (where we have/would stay).
So, if you know what kind of accommodation you are looking for, you can quickly and efficiently get started by reading the next section. If you want to book in a specific area (like near a beach or in the historic Old Town), then you can read about the areas below!
Hotels in Split
If you are looking to stay in a hotel in Split, you will definitely have more than enough options to choose from. There are hotels scattered all over the city from the heart of the Old Town to down the coast and beyond.
The hotels in Split also cater to many different kinds of travellers. If you want hotels in Split with pools and breakfast included or just a simple hotel with a pleasant host and a nice view of the sea, you’ll find one. Remember, the best hotel in Split is the one that meets your style and needs – but there are lots of great options to choose from!
If you are just looking for some of the most popular hotels in top areas around Split that balance value for money, location, and amenities, below are a number of the best hotels in Split, Croatia as rated by other travellers.
- B&B Kastel Split – A popular B&B hotel in the heart of the Old Town (with breakfast)
- Plaza Marchi Old Town – An elegant boutique hotel with breakfast also in the Old Town with views
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa – One of the few beach resorts in Split – with pools, spa, and ocean views in Žnjan
- Hotel Cvita – A bright hotel in Marjan with outdoor pool and nice breakfast
- Hotel Fanat – A reliable hotel overlooking the beach in Žnjan with breakfast included
Budget/Cheap Hotels in Split
Split accommodations don’t have to break the bank. There are many affordable hotels in Split to suit budget-conscious travellers. Don’t let the word “cheap” scare you though – cheap doesn’t have to mean “run-down”… it means more affordable compared to other properties in the area.
Split can be expensive when it comes to hotels so these hotels are on the cheaper end of things – but you can still get hotels that offer breakfast, an amazing location, rooms with terraces, etc. Below are a number of great cheap hotels around Split:
- B&B Kastel Split – A lovely B&B style hotel right in heart of Old Town (Our Pick)
- Hotel Slavija – Another popular, lovely hotel right in the heart of the Old Town
- Hotel Pax – A bright and peaceful hotel close to the beach with parking and breakfast included
- Split Urban Rooms I**** – A simple yet cool hotel just steps from the Old Town and waterfront
Boutique Hotels in Split
Being a vibrant and stylish seaside city to visit, there are a number of boutique hotels in Split you can check into. From lavish colours to cool designs, have a look below if you are searching for a hotel in Split with a bit more flair! Some are located in the city centre while others are near the beach and great if you are travelling by car.
- Plaza Marchi Old Town – An elegant boutique hotel with breakfast in the Old Town with views (Our Pick)
- Prima Luce – A stylish hotel with a rooftop terrace and breakfast available just outside the Old Town
- Time Boutique Hotel – A cool yet cozy hotel with pool and parking in the city centre northeast of the Old Town
- Hotel Ora – A cool and trendy hotel with parking and breakfast close to Žnjan beach
Luxury Hotels in Split
If you are heading for Split and looking for a luxurious experience, you’re in luck! Truthfully, there aren’t that many 5 star hotels in Split because the level of accommodation is already quite high. You can get quite a bit of value for Split prices unlike in other cities in Europe like London, Vienna, or Munich. Here are some of the best luxury hotels in Split, Croatia:
- Cornaro Hotel – An upscale hotel with stunning rooftop terrace and spa steps from the Old Town (Our Pick)
- Hotel Park Split – A elegant 5-star hotel with breakfast, pool, and green space in Bacvice
- Hotel Posh – A modern and trendy aparthotel with pool, parking, breakfast, and sea views in Bacvice
Guesthouses/Bed and Breakfasts in Split
If you want a cozy stay when you visit Split, a guesthouse might be a great alternative to a hotel. Guesthouses generally function like hotels just without the extra amenities and bed and breakfasts are usually that – a bed and breakfast that is included in the price of the accommodation!
For a city with many hotels and apartments, you can find a number of guesthouses and cozy B&B’s around the city centre and outside of it. Often these places are run by lovely locals who make it a point to create a space for you to call home while you’re visiting!
You can check here for guesthouses in Split. We’ve included a variety of the nice guesthouses and bed and breakfasts to get you started:
- Grgur Ninski Rooms – A bright bed and breakfast right in heart of Old Town (Our Pick)
- Rooms Šećer – A popular and simple guesthouse close to Old Town
- B&B Villa Vice – A cozy and cute bed and breakfast east of Old Town close to the Ferry Port
- Guesthouse Villa Scalaria – A bright guesthouse in Marjan walking diatance to the Old Town with good onsite parking
Apartments in Split
If you’re new to Croatia travel, you should know that apartment rentals or “holiday rentals” are a very popular accommodation option across the country. Split is no exception with sun chasers and even road trip travellers booking up apartments for longer stays (we were in this ground). Apartments in Split make up a significant portion of the accommodations available.
Apartments are usually a great option as a place to stay if you are travelling with friends, as a family with kids, and/or you want your own space while on the road. We like them because we usually end up cooking a meal or two while on the road. You can check here for great apartments in Split. Below are a few nice apartments in great locations:
- Apartments Korta – Bright, popular apartments with terraces just outside the Old Town in city centre (Our Pick)
- Villa Domina – Rustic yet modern apartments with free parking just north of Old Town
- Apartments & Room Kartolina – Bright and cozy apartments located to the west side of Old Town in the city centre
- Apartments Vinko – Clean and functional apartments with terraces in Marjan
Another popular way to rent an apartment is to search for an Airbnb in Split. Depending on the city, Airbnb can be a good way to rent an apartment but Croatia (in general) has such a strong apartment rental infrastructure that you don’t have to rely on a platform like Airbnb to find the best apartments. They are literally everywhere across the city of Split.
Hostels in Split
Since Split is a popular stop along the Dalmatian coast, lots of backpackers who are touring Croatia (and/or the rest of the Balkans like we did!) are passing through Split. If you are looking for cheap accommodation in Split, hostels are a great place to stay.
There are a number of hostels in Split to choose from – some are right in the heart of the Old Town while others are near the beach. It’s really up to you to find one that suits your travel needs. You can check here for top hostels in Split but some of the top-rated ones are listed below:
- Downtown Hostel – A social hostel in the heart of the Old Town (Our Pick)
- Hostel Dvor – A bright and clean hostel close to the Old Town in Varoš
- Old Town Hostel Split – A classic and social backpackers hostel also right in the heart of the Old Town
Where to Stay in Split – By Neighbourhood/Area
Now that we have covered where to stay in Split by accommodation types, it’s time to dive into the best areas to stay in Split. We’ll tell you about the top areas below, why they are great, and offer up a handful of top-rated accommodation suggestions in each.
These aren’t all of the areas you can stay in while in Split but we definitely have covered the main ones in the city centre as well as the best areas around it. These are all areas that we already have stayed in or would genuinely stay in ourselves if we came back to Split!
The areas all have a different vibe: some are great for sightseeing and convenience while others have the beach or nature close by. They are all also safe, good areas to stay in so there’s most likely an area that works for you below! To get you started, have a look at the top picks for each one. You can read more about them if you scroll down.
Old Town/City Centre – For Sightseeing and Ferry Port
To stay in the heart of the action in Split, you should stay in the Old Town. Located right in the heart of the city centre, the Old Town is where you find an incredible atmosphere of history, culture, and city life altogether in one place. Part of the Old Town (Diocletian’s Palace) is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site so there are things to see and do within the walls.
At the waterfront, you can walk the famous pedestrian street Riva and see the ferries come and go. Parts of it can be touristy – but that’s to be expected. There are a number of restaurants, bars, cafes down side alleys, and open squares where you’ll find food vendors and much more. It’s honestly pretty wonderful to wander about and get lost in.
The Old Town itself is pretty compact and walkable, too. You’ll find some stairs and some ups and downs but it is generally flat closer to the water. Just watch for the smooth/slippery stones. That said, the area is also very functional. You can find main bus/train station close to the ferry port (which can take you to the islands like Hvar or Brač).
For all these reasons, the Old Town/Split City Centre makes a great place to find accommodation if you want to explore the city’s history, looking to catch the ferry or want to do some shopping. Hotels in the Split City Centre are a popular option for a place to stay but you can also find apartments here as well as bed and breakfast-style accommodations.
Featured Accommodations in the Old Town/Split City Centre
Below are some of the best hotels in Split’s Old Town as well as a number of other accommodation options in the Old Town or just outside of it. Generally speaking, this is a very good and popular area because of the central location. At the same time, it’s still easy to get to Split Airport via hotel shuttle, taxi, car, or city bus #37 that runs to Trogir.
B&B Kaštel Split – Check Now
- Style: A Simple Yet Lovely B&B-style Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Right in the heart of Split Old town, overlooking the seaside waterfront or old town square
- Featured Amenities: Perfect location, great breakfast included
Plaza Marchi Old Town – Check Now
- Style: An Elegant Boutique Hotel
- Price Range: Mid-Range
- Location: Heart of the Old Town near the water, overlooking a town square
- Featured Amenities: Nice breakfast served close by, terrace views, onsite bar, parking nearby
Rooms Šećer – Check Now
- Style: A Simple and Clean Guesthouse
- Price Range: Budget (great price!)
- Location: Just north of Old Town in the Split city centre
- Featured Amenities: Clean rooms, wifi, super friendly host
Cornaro Hotel – Check Now
- Style: An Upscale and Modern Hotel
- Price Range: Luxury
- Location: In the city centre, just outside the Old Town walls – views overlooking the Old Town
- Featured Amenities: Great buffet breakfast, rooftop terrace, bar onsite, spa area
Marjan – For Nature
If staying right in the city centre isn’t for you but you want to stay nearby, look to Marjan for a quieter getaway. Located to the west of the city centre, Marjan is actually the name of the green, tree-covered hill that juts out on a peninsula close to the city. That said, the name also includes part of the residential area closer to the city centre.
The area is full of hiking trails and there are a number of scenic views you can head to and take in the seaside and city surrounding you. Down near the water, there are rocky beaches along the coast and you can find accommodation – mainly hotels and apartments – lining the hillside facing the water.
Featured Accommodations in Marjan
Below are a number of places to stay in the Marjan area. This is a bit of a larger district and so we wanted to focus on a mix of accommodation styles – hotels, apartments, and a guesthouse – to demonstrate a variety of places you could stay at.
Depending on where you stay, you can be a short walk to the Old Town and there are usually grocery stores or bakeries close by that locals use. Many places boast nice views of the sea. This is also a good area if you have a car because parking is more possible compared to the city centre.
Hotel Cvita – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Charming Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Mid-Range
- Location: Tucked away in Marjan with water views in front and nature behind
- Featured Amenities: Outdoor pool, great breakfast, free parking onsite
Guesthouse Villa Scalaria – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Modern Guesthouse
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Just west of the Old Town, walking distance to the Palace and waterfront
- Featured Amenities: Onsite parking (good for Split), bars and restaurants nearby
Apartments Vinko – Check Now
- Style: Clean and Functional Apartments
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Just west of the Old Town, walkable to city centre and waterfront
- Featured Amenities: Full kitchens, market and cafe nearby, terraces, free parking
Žnjan – For Beach
If you are heading to Split to enjoy the beach and the sunshine, then you should head for Žnjan. Located to the east of the city centre along the water, this area of the city is a hub of activity because of the popular beach – Žnjan City Beach.
Because the district is focussed on beachgoers, you can find a number of bars and restaurants that line the waterfront area. There is a mix of accommodations styles here but if you are searching for hotels in Split Croatia on the beach, Žnjan is where you should look!
Keep in mind that beaches in Croatia are rarely sandy but made up of tiny stones. We actually really like it because the small rocks form to your body when you put a towel down.
Featured Accommodations in Žnjan
Below you can find a handful of the top hotel options in Žnjan. As the beach destination, this is where you find one of the only large resorts in Split. You can get back to the Old Town/city centre via public transit or it’s a longer (but doable walk) or a short drive if you have a car. As we said, this is where you can find some of the best beachfront hotels in Split. So, if you are heading to Split to relax in the sunshine, this area if for you.
Hotel Fanat – Check Now
- Style: A Simple and Reliable Hotel
- Price Range: Mid-Range
- Location: Right near the beach (Znjan), one of the best beach hotels in Split with bars close by
- Featured Amenities: Pool and sauna, nice breakfast, free parking onsite
Hotel Ora – Check Now
- Style: A Stylish and Trendy Boutique Hotel
- Price Range: Mid-Range
- Location: West of the city centre, close to Znjan beach
- Featured Amenities: Bar onsite, nice breakfast, free private parking,
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa – Check Now
- Style: A Modern and Upscale Beach Resort
- Price Range: Upper Mid-Range
- Location: Right on the water in Znjan with ocean views and beach accessible
- Featured Amenities: Bar/lounge/restaurants onsite, spa facilities, pools, private parking
Kaštela – For Quiet Seaside Views
Last – but certainly not least – we have Kaštela. This “town” is actually a grouping of seven smaller medieval towns that line the coast between the Split city centre and the Split Airport (close to Trogir). We stayed in Kaštel Kambelovac and absolutely loved it here. The areas are far more quiet and peaceful compared to the city centre – making it perfect for a relaxing stay by the seaside. Our apartment door was literally meters from the sea!
As we said, this is where you find hotels near Split if you didn’t want to stay right in the city centre. This is also where you can find some of the best beachfront hotels in Split – or at least in the area very close by to Split. Parking out in the Kaštela is also generally much easier since there is just more space.
We explored the area and even walked through all of them in a single day along the coast. It was a lovely experience to see the towns come and go as we walked along. Another nice feature of the Kaštela is that the main road between Split Airport and the city centre runs very close by. This makes it so easy to get to the airport, the city, or to Trogir (which is worth exploring, too).
Featured Accommodations in Kaštela
Below you can find just a handful of accommodations in Kaštela. Keep in mind that we have chosen a few properties out of a whole massive area. Each of the towns has its own charm but they are fundamentally similar with seaside views, beaches, historic buildings, and locals to say hello “dobar dan” to!
Villa Sol – Check Now
- Style: A Charming and Simple Bed and Breakfast
- Price Range: Budget
- Location: A short walk to the waterfront in Kaštel Stari, close to the main street/bus route
- Featured Amenities: Great breakfast, private parking, free airport shuttle!
Hotel Ballet School – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Simple Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Right at the beach in Kaštel Kambelovac, amazing restaurant close by
- Featured Amenities: Easy parking, breakfast, rooftop terrace with seaside views
Hotel Štacija – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Trendy Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Located in Kaštel Luksic right at the blue waterfront, short drive or bus to the airport
- Featured Amenities: Bar/restaurant onsite, sea views, great breakfast, private parking
And there you have it – a rundown on where to stay in Split! The city is loaded with different accommodations and a few others areas you could check out. That said, we wrote this with the intention that you’d make a great accommodation choice in a great area with any of the picks above.
As always, Happy Split Hotel Waddlin’,
Pin it for later!