Having the right travel gear is super important. This might be obvious to some but travel gear – whether luggage, footwear, or something simple as a packing cubes to store different clothing items – can make all the difference in how you experience and enjoy your trip.
Let’s be clear here: We’re not advocating consuming/discarding many different products – because good gear should last a long time. In fact, if you have the right gear for you, you shouldn’t have to buy travel products frequently at all! We consider ourselves minimalist travellers – we only take what we need on a trip and nothing extra!
Now, we’re not saying you have to follow this method. What we are saying is that it’s very important to identify a use and need for all of your travel gear. Otherwise, if you don’t need it – why is it taking up room in your bag? What you pack is certainly related to the way that you travel and also to the purpose and time/season of your trip. Of course, these factors will change your travel gear – a tropical holiday will surely require different gear than a backpacking trip through Europe.
Below you will find a number of gear items we trust as well as helpful guides if you are considering new gear like a backpack, carry-on luggage, cord organizers, blankets, and even gifts for travellers (that they will actually use)!
Personal Travel Gear Favourites
To help you on your journey to finding great travel gear, below you can find some of our all-time favourite pieces of travel gear that we currently use on basically all of our travels.
These pieces of travel gear have been with us on countless trips, through countless countries, on planes, trains, buses, boats, and cars. We trust our gear 100% – and hope you find some of these useful for your travels as well!
Friendly Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through one of the following links, we might earn a commission.
- Osprey Farpoint 40: Lisa wouldn’t be the traveller she is today without her Osprey Farpoint 40. This trusty bag makes a great carry-on for the plane and yet becomes a great long-trip bag with a surprising amount of storage!
- North Face Men’s Resolve 2 Jacket: Eric loves his black North Face rain jacket so much that when he finally got rid of his first one – after over 5 years of use – he bought the exact same one again!
- North Face Borealis Backpack: A trusted daypack for exploring cities and a great bag for on the plane, we love our Northface Borealis because it’s so versatile with secure pockets for electronics and more.
- Eagle Creek Packing Cubes: We honestly didn’t think we needed a simple set of two packing cubes until we got some as a gift. Now, we couldn’t imagine our travel bags without a place for smaller clothes, dirty clothes, or otherwise! We love our Eagle Creek packing cubes – honest review.
- DJI Osmo Pocket (Video)camera: We were in need of a video camera but weren’t sold on another GoPro. So, we did our research and landed on the Osmo Pocket – a pocket camera that we absolutely love and call “Ozzy”. Shoots in 4K, shoots smooth with a 3-axis gimbal, takes photos, and even attaches to a smartphone. It’s not waterproof – but we don’t need that in a camera. We love our Ozzy!
Find The Right Travel Gear
Researching and buying the right pieces of travel gear can be a tough process. We know that after years of experience in the subject!
That’s why we’ve developed a number of buying guides to help you through the whole process. From daypacks to travel blankets, we’re here to help you make great buying decisions tailored to you and your trip!