Wondering Where To Stay In Innsbruck? Here Are Our Tips!
Travelling to Innsbruck? Trying to figure out where to stay and how long to stay in Innsbruck? So were we! From hotels to guesthouses there are loads of great places to stay in Innsbruck.
We loved our time in Innsbruck even though we visited in a weird month (November). We ended up choosing a hotel – Hotel Zach – which was a very short walk from the Old Town but still very much in the heart of the city. With a great breakfast included, we really liked it and would recommend it.
Having said that, there are numerous hotels and other accommodations spread across the Old Town and the green hills of the surrounding areas. With well-known accommodations like Stage 12 and Adlers Hotel, it can be tough to decide. That’s where we come in.
In this guide, we’ll dive into accommodations in Innsbruck by style and budget, share our own experience and why we picked our hotel, and then outline the other great areas or neighbourhoods to stay in with examples of accommodations in each!
**Friendly Disclosure: We paid for the accommodation we stayed at ourselves and were not told to include it in this article.
Accommodations By Type
Even if you have never been to Innsbruck before, you might already know that it’s a lovely little city tucked away between some mountains ridges with the Inn River flowing through it. It’s a hub for winter sports in the colder months and also a great place to visit in the summer for hiking. The historic old town sights also shouldn’t be missed.
One of the best things about Innsbruck is that if you are visiting to explore the city – as we did – then you’ll be happy to know that the city is not that large. Innsbruck is also a very walkable city (around the centre) with decent transit options to get you farther away to see sights, start a hike, etc.
This post is split up into two main sections: the first section is on Innsbruck accommodations by type while the second part walks you through some of the better areas to stay in Innsbruck (where we would stay).
So, if you know what kind of accommodation you are searching for, you can get started looking at the first part of the article. Alternatively, if you want to book in a specific area you can read about it further down and then have a look at accommodations in the area.
Hotels in Innsbruck
If you are searching for hotels in Innsbruck, you are definitely not alone. Hotels are among the most popular accommodation option found across various parts of the city. Hotels offer that classic stay – a nice room to call home and often a yummy breakfast. That said, Innsbruck is more of a “getaway” city so some hotels have spas, rooftop patios, bars, and other amenities.
From our experience, there is a high concentration of hotels in/close to the city centre (Innenstadt) with a few scattered throughout the surrounding areas. We actually found that you can stay very close to the centre without being right in the touristy areas.
For example, we stayed in Hotel Zach which was within walking distance to the Old Town and the train station. At the same time, it was located on a quieter street for sleeping. There are quite a few hotels like this so you will have a number to choose from. We have broken down hotels by type below so you can check out the ones that interest you.
⇒ Get started searching for hotels in Innsbruck here
If you are looking for some of the most popular hotels in great areas that balance value for money, location, and amenities, below are a number of great hotel options:
Popular Innsbruck Hotels
- Hotel Innsbruck – For a classic hotel right in the heart of the Old Town facing the mountains and Inn river
- Hotel Grauer Bär – A popular hotel in on the outskirts of the Old Town close to museums, attractions, and food
- AC Hotel Innsbruck – A lovely hotel just south of the Old Town close to the Triumphal Arch
- Leipziger Hof Innsbruck – A charming hotel in Pradl, an area a short walk from the Innenstadt (just across the Sill river)
- Dollinger – A cozy and simple hillside retreat close to the Alpine Zoo and close to the Hungerburgbahn (mountain cable car)
Budget/Cheap Hotels in Innsbruck
Innsbruck isn’t a huge city so while there is a well-developed tourism industry, there aren’t that many budget accommodations to choose from. There are certainly some – but not an unlimited number like you would find in Vienna.
⇒ Check here for budget hotels in Innsbruck
Having said that, the budget hotels in Innsbruck are simple, “no-fuss” options. Often they are located in really good areas like the heart of the city or just a short walk from top sights and attractions.
Many of these places are also great for those on a cycling tour through Austria who just need a reliable place to rest for a night. Here are a handful of budget hotels to consider:
- Hotel Goldene Krone Innsbruck – A simple hotel located beside the Triumphal Arch in the city centre. (Our Pick)
- Hotel Tautermann – A popular option up in Hötting with views of the area and breakfast included.
- Hotel Alpinpark – A charming budget hotel with breakfast in Pradl (but also very close walking to the Innenstadt).
Boutique Hotels in Innsbruck
Since Innsbruck draws in visitors from all over the world to ski, explore, hike, or shop for Swarovski crystals (an actual thing to do in Innsbruck), there are many boutique hotels with unique styles to suit varying tastes! While it’s true that many of the boutique hotels are located in the city centre, there are a few outliers to this rule.
We stayed in Hotel Zach which we booked because of the great reviews and the look of the hotel. Overall, we weren’t disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable, the buffet breakfast was a great way to start the day, and staff was lovely. There was parking available but we didn’t need it.
As we mentioned above, the best part about the hotel was the location. It was located one or two streets over from the Old Town. This made it easy to walk to both the train station and the Old Town. Here are some other boutique-style options in Innsbruck:
- Hotel Zach – A cool and comfortable hotel in the city with great breakfast. (Our Pick)
- Hotel Schwarzer Adler Innsbruck – A traditional hotel with a unique style on the outskirts of the Old Town.
- Nala Individuellhotel – An “oasis” hotel in the heart of the city with unique rooms and decor.
- Stage 12 – A trendy and chic hotel tucked away in the heart of the city.
Once again, please note that we chose the hotel ourselves and paid for the hotel ourselves.
Luxury Hotels in Innsbruck
As far as luxury hotels go in Innsbruck, there are a number of upscale hotels that offer unique amenities and experiences. Once again, many of these classier hotels are located in the city centre (close to the Old Town) making them a popular choice for great perks, views, and a solid location:
- aDLERS Hotel Innsbruck – Am upscale hotel near central station with a stunning rooftop bar/mountain view terrace. (Our Pick)
- The PENZ Hotel – A classy hotel with buffet breakfast overlooking the city towards the mountains.
- Grand Hotel Europa – A historic yet modern hotel serving up delicious local cuisine in the city centre.
Guesthouses/Bed and Breakfasts in Innsbruck
If you are searching for more of a cozy accommodation that acts similar to a hotel, a guesthouse might be perfect for you. Often called “Pension” in German, many guesthouses function kind of like a “bed and breakfast” where you generally get a cozy room and breakfast served onsite in the morning. We stayed in a classic guesthouse when we were exploring Salzburg and it was fantastic.
As you might imagine, guesthouses are also a popular accommodation option in Innsbruck. There are actually a small handful of guesthouses in the city centre but generally, they can be found in the surrounding hillside areas. This means you get some great views at many of them – and you are that much closer to green space, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
⇒ Check here for guesthouses in Innsbruck.
You can also have a look at the following options. We’ve included a variety of the great guesthouses to get you started:
- Pension Stoi Budget Guesthouse – A simple yet popular guesthouse in the city centre. (Our Pick)
- Pension Muttererhof – A charming guesthouse with views in Mutters (an area listed below).
- Café Pension Alpina – An authentic guesthouse right beside the base of the Nordkettenbahnen cable car.
Hostels in Innsbruck
Innsbruck is a city visited by everyone from luxury travelers and outdoor-oriented travellers to budget backpackers and cyclists through the region. Because of this varying clientele, there are a number of hostels in Innsbruck if you are looking for one.
There are certainly not as many to choose from as there are places to stay in Salzburg, but there are enough that budget travellers have a choice. You can check here for top hostels in Innsbruck but some of the top-rated once are listed below:
- Montagu Hostel – A cool and trendy hostel up in Hötting but just across the river from the Old Town. (Our Pick)
- Hostel Marmota – A popular hostel with breakfast included located close to Ambras Castle with a tram nearby.
Apartments in Innsbruck
While you will find that there are many more hotels and guesthouses available for accommodations in Innsbruck, there are also a number of holiday apartments for rent. You can even find a bunch of aparthotels where you get your own space (usually with the ability to cook) but you also pay for breakfast.
Apartments are generally popular with larger groups of friends or those travelling to Innsbruck with kids/as a family. You can check here for great apartments in Innsbruck. Below are a few nice apartments in great locations around Innsbruck:
- Kaiser Max Design Appartements – Modern apartments right beside the famous Golden Roof in the Old Town. (Our Pick)
- Innsbruck City Apartments – Simple apartments located in the heart of Innenstadt close to the train station.
If you are searching for an apartment, you might also look into an Airbnb in Innsbruck. Airbnbs – depending on the city – can be a good option as a place to stay if you need a base to explore from.
That said, if we book an Airbnb in a city (which we don’t do often anymore), we try to book a spare room in an apartment where someone actually lives. That way we don’t contribute to the housing shortages that some cities are facing. Also, it’s a great way to meet passionate locals who end up being a wealth of knowledge about the place you are visiting!
Accommodations By Area/Neighbourhood
Alright, now that we have covered different types of accommodations across Innsbruck, we can dive into the best areas for visitors to stay in. We’ll introduce the area, tell you what you can find there, why it may be a good choice for you, and then offer up a few well-rated accommodation suggestions in each.
Keep in mind, these are certainly not all the areas of the city. However, if we were to visit again, these are areas we would genuinely search for accommodation. We’ve stayed in the city centre but next time we might look to stay a little outside it to be closer to hiking trails and awesome views.
Whatever your interests are for seeking out an area – like seeing top attractions or hitting the ski slopes – there’s an area for you below. If you know when you’re travelling to Innsbruck, aren’t too picky, and know the kind of trip you want to have (shopping, hiking, etc) then you can get started having a look at these top picks in each area outlined below!
Top Innsbruck Accommodations By Area
- Innenstadt (Sights & Shopping): Hotel Zach
- Hötting (Quiet Views): Hotel Mondschein
- Amras (Convenience): Hotel Kapeller Innsbruck
- Mutters/Igls (Skiing/Nature): Hotel Seppl
It should also be noted that Innsbruck is a safe city to visit. We had a lovely time and felt completely comfortable walking around in the Old Town, around Ambras Castle, and at night in the Innenstadt. We chose the areas above because of their practicality, positive vibes, accommodation choices, and overall appeal for travellers!
Innenstadt – For Sights & Shopping
If you are looking for arguably the best places to stay in Innsbruck, the Innenstadt will come up as an answer more often than not. This area – which basically forms the city centre is made up of the Old Town and the area surrounding it as well.
It extends from the Inn River to the central train station and down to Wilten (another area with a few things to check out) and the Westbahnhof train station.
Similar to the Old Town in Vienna which is full of top attractions, the Old Town in Innsbruck is a great place to start your adventure if you are there to see the sights. A key difference compared to other Austrian cities is that the Old Town in Innsbruck is quite small. Pretty, but fairly compact!
As you may have already guessed, the Old Town is known for its history, architecture, and sightseeing. This means that this area can get quite busy with visitors. You can’t really blame them, though – the famous Golden Roof, Imperial Palace, and Stadtturm are pretty special sights to see! There are also lots of cafes and shops scattered through the Old Town.
Aside from the Old Town, the area surrounding the Old Town is also loaded with shops, restaurants, bars, and a few things to see. There is shopping along Maria-Theresien-Straße and you are never more than a short walk to the river, central station, and more. This is the area we stayed in – and we really liked it.
⇒ Check Here For Hotels In the Innenstadt
For all these reasons, the Innenstadt makes a great place to find accommodations if you are only in the city for a few days and/or want to explore the history and do some shopping.
It’s a good central base to explore from if you do end up hiking or going up the Nordkettenbahnen. The Innenstadt is also a good option for those with limited mobility because it’s pretty flat and compact.
Featured Accommodations in the Innenstadt
Below are some of the top-rated places to stay in the Innenstadt area. You’ll find a mix of hotels but also some apartments and guesthouses. There are a number of really good places to choose from so you really can’t go wrong unless you are very picky.
As we mentioned, our stay in Hotel Zach was located here – but it was on a street just a block or two from the heart of the centre. You can’t beat the Innenstadt location if you want easy access to the city sights, so check out these great places below:
Hotel Goldener Adler Innsbruck- Check Now
- Style: A Historic, Renovated Hotel
- Price Range: Mid-Range
- Location: In the true heart of the Old Town – steps from the Golden Roof and top sights
- Featured Amenities: Bar/restaurants onsite, breakfast available
Hotel Zach – Check Now
- Style: A Trendy and Comfortable Hotel
- Price Range: Lower Mid-Range
- Location: On a quieter street just two blocks from Maria-Theresien-Straße and the Old Town
- Featured Amenities: Great buffet breakfast, friendly staff, parking garage onsite
Pension Stoi Budget Guesthouse – Check Now
- Style: A Simple and Reliable Guesthouse
- Price Range: Budget (actual budget for Innsbruck)
- Location: Heart of the city, very close to central train station but also shopping and the Old Town
- Featured Amenities: Coffee machine onsite, WIFI available, cafes/restaurants all around
AC Hotel Innsbruck – Check Now
- Style: A Simple Yet Very Popular Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Just south of the Old Town, close to the central train station and the Triumphal Arch
- Featured Amenities: Nice breakfast, some rooms with views, bar/restaurant onsite
Hötting – For Quiet/Views
If you are travelling to Innsbruck to get away for some peace and quiet but still want to enjoy the views and have the city centre close by, an accommodation in Hötting might be for you.
This larger, sprawling district on the other side of the Inn River lies along the base of the Nordkette Mountain range. This means that with a bit of elevation, some of the accommodations have great views of the city below and the mountains beyond.
A key draw to this area is that you can stay that much close to where the hiking trails start (see the green in the photo above) but – depending on where you stay – you can also cross a bridge and be in the centre in minutes.
⇒ Check Here For Accommodations In Hötting.
Technically speaking, Innsbruck Airport is also located in a sub-section of the district but much farther to the west from where we are suggesting. A highlight of the area is the “Colourful Houses” (shown below) which can be photographed along the Inn River. You can even stay in one of them (see below).
That riverside area that runs along Mariahilfstraße has a number of restaurants, bars, and cafes you can also visit if you don’t want to go back into the city centre.
The area sort of reminds us of where we stayed in Salzburg which was also very green but still close to the city centre. Keep in mind that this region gets more hilly the farther you go from the river. Perhaps these areas are more suited for those travelling by car!
Featured Accommodations in Hötting
Below are a number of places to stay in Hötting. This is a large district and so we focussed on the places that offer views but also a nice location for getting back into the city centre if needed.
You can find a sparse mix of hotels and guesthouses in this area – many of them boasting great views the higher up the slope you go from the river.
Hotel Mondschein – Check Now
- Style: A Simple and Classy Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: One of the “Colourful Houses” directly facing the Inn River across from the Old Town
- Featured Amenities: Buffet breakfast, bar onsite, parking available
Hotel Tautermann – Check Now
- Style: A Cozy and Classic Hotel
- Price Range: Budget
- Location: Close to the Inn River on a quieter side street – a quick walk to the Old Town across the river
- Featured Amenities: Private bathrooms, nice breakfast included, lovely views
Hotel Engl – Check Now
- Style: A Rustic-Style Lodge Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Across the river from the city centre near the Hofgarten and the Nordkettenbahnen (popular cable car)
- Featured Amenities: Buffet breakfast included, free parking, also a bar onsite
Amras – For Convenience
If you are travelling by car to Innsbruck and not overly picky on where you stay, choosing a hotel/accommodation in Amras comes with a number of benefits. This area to the east of the city centre includes Ambras Castle (a top attraction in the city). The key to this area is that it is located close to the highway that runs through the south end of the city.
This makes it a great area to be able to hop back in the car and get moving when you leave the city. It’s definitely an area with more of a functional purpose but that is why we are suggesting it.
⇒ Check Here For Hotels In Amras
Another positive aspect of this area is that you can hop on the tram or bus very easily and get to Innenstadt in about 15 minutes. We rode the bus from the centre to Schloss Ambras and it wasn’t a long ride at all.
There are also grocery stores, a few restaurants, a shopping mall, gas stations, and even an IKEA (we visited it because it was raining heavily), in case you needed to do some casual furniture shopping.
Featured Accommodations in Amras
Below you can find a handful of great hotels and guesthouses in this smaller area. Many of them are within walking distance to the green space and gardens around Ambras Castle which is definitely something to see when you visit. In general, it’s a more residential location but the accommodations that are here are well-regarded.
Hotel Kapeller Innsbruck – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Cozy Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: A residential area walking distance to Schloss Ambras and to the bus/tram
- Featured Amenities: Buffet breakfast and private parking available, some rooms with views
Hotel Charlotte – Check Now
- Style: A Classic and Traditional Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Quiet residential area, a short walk from Schloss Ambras
- Featured Amenities: Breakfast included, bar/restaurant onsite, outdoor pool in summer, parking
Pension Friedl – Check Now
- Style: A Cozy and Simple Guesthouse
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Tucked away in the residential area, a longer (but still very doable) walk to the centre, close to the main street for bus
- Featured Amenities: Nice buffet breakfast, some rooms with balconies
Mutters/Igls – For Skiing/Nature
If your trip to Innsbruck is less about exploring the city and more about relaxing away in the mountains or hitting the ski slopes, then a stay in Mutters or Igls might be for you.
Located to the south of the city centre where the trees dominate the landscape, these smaller “villages” are known as hubs for outdoor activities and known to be quiet, residential, and peaceful.
There are other little village centres with guesthouses, restaurants, and access to the hiking trails and to the slopes. However, these two are more well-known and built up to offer guests amenities as well as various means to get up the mountains nearby (cable cars).
⇒ Check Here For Accommodations In Igls and Mutters.
Generally, these places are easiest to access with cars and many hotels or guesthouses have parking available for this reason. That said, you can also get into the Old Town from Mutters via the city tram which is pretty convenient.
From Igls, there is a city bus route which does much the same – bringing you into the city centre to see sights without having to take the car out again.
Featured Accommodations in Mutters/Igls
Below you can find just a handful of accommodations in both Mutters and Igls. These little areas are definitely more tranquil and green but still offer you the chance to see the city below. There are loads of properties to pick from: Some with great breakfasts and spas, others with mountain view rooms, and more!
Hotel-Pension Leitgebhof – Check Now
- Style: A Simple and Tranquil Guesthouse/Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: Walkable to the heart of Igls, cozy and green on a wooden hillside
- Featured Amenities: Breakfast included, parking, ample green space, and views to enjoy.
Hotel Garni Römerhof – Check Now
- Style: A Trendy and Cozy Hotel
- Price Range: Upper Mid-Range
- Location: Outside the heart of Igls but walkable to the Patscherkofel Cable Car
- Featured Amenities: Spa/sauna onsite, great breakfast, parking available
Pension Muttererhof – Check Now
- Style: A More Traditional Guesthouse
- Price Range: Upper Budget
- Location: In Mutters, walkable to “heart” of Mutters beside a number of other accommodations
- Featured Amenities: Great breakfast included, parking onsite
Hotel Seppl – Check Now
- Style: A Bright and Comfortable Retreat hotel.
- Price Range: Mid-Range
- Location: In the heart of Mutters, down the street from Pension Muttererhof and walkable to the tram station and restaurants
- Featured Amenities: Pool and spa, great breakfast, lovely views, bar onsite
If you’re looking for more Innsbruck travel knowledge, you can find some below. We also scattered great Austria knowledge on Salzburg and Vienna throughout the post.
- 19+ Great Things to Do in Innsbruck
- Spending One Day in Innsbruck: Our Itinerary with Meals
- Innsbruck is a Nice Day Trip from Salzburg
And there you have it – a quick rundown on where to stay in Innsbruck. In the end, this post is not meant to include all the possible places to stay – only the ones we feel are worth your time checking out for your trip. Different places are going to appeal to different groups – but we honestly believe that you will find an Innsbruck accommodation that will work well for you!
As always, Happy Innsbruck Hotel Waddlin’,
Pin it for later!